Tongue On 9V Battery – Is It Safe? Exploring The Myth

133 best images about Fond Memories From When I Was a Kid on Pinterest
133 best images about Fond Memories From When I Was a Kid on Pinterest from


Over the years, a peculiar myth has circulated among curious individuals – the idea of placing your tongue on a 9V battery. This peculiar act has sparked curiosity and often leads to questions about its safety and potential consequences. In this article, we will explore this myth and shed light on whether it is safe or not.

The Myth and Its Origins

The myth of placing your tongue on a 9V battery stems from the belief that doing so will produce a tingling sensation or even a mild shock. It is said to be a rite of passage or a dare among some individuals, especially during childhood. The origins of this myth are unclear, but it has become a subject of fascination for many.

Understanding the Science behind It

When you place your tongue on a 9V battery, you are essentially completing a circuit. The battery’s positive and negative terminals come into contact with your tongue, creating a pathway for electrical current to flow. This flow of current stimulates the taste buds and nerve endings located on your tongue, resulting in a tingling sensation.

The Potential Risks

While the tingling sensation may be intriguing to some, it is essential to understand the potential risks involved. Placing your tongue on a 9V battery can expose you to a low voltage electrical shock. Although the shock is generally considered harmless, it can still cause discomfort and may lead to minor injuries such as cuts or burns on your tongue.

Safety Precautions

If you are tempted to try this experiment, it is crucial to take necessary safety precautions:

1. Ensure the Battery is in Good Condition

Inspect the battery for any signs of damage, leakage, or corrosion before attempting to place it on your tongue. Using a damaged battery can increase the risk of injury.

2. Avoid Prolonged Contact

Keep the duration of contact with the battery brief. Prolonged exposure can increase the risk of injury and discomfort.

3. Seek Medical Attention if Necessary

If you experience any adverse effects or injuries after placing your tongue on a 9V battery, seek medical attention immediately. It is always better to be safe than sorry.


Placing your tongue on a 9V battery may seem like a harmless experiment, but it is not without risks. While the tingling sensation can be intriguing, it is important to prioritize your safety and well-being. If you are ever in doubt or experience any adverse effects, it is best to consult a medical professional. Remember, curiosity is valuable, but it should always be accompanied by caution.